A while ago I had the honor of interviewing Ricardo Liborio. Liborio is a famous Carlson Gracie’s black belt who is known for his incredible depth of understanding of BJJ. He’s also the head coach at American Top Team, which is literally one of MMA’s most successful champion factories.
I picked Liborio’s brain about the relationship between BJJ and MMA. Here’s just some of what we covered:
- Why MMA newbies should learn BJJ before any other martial art,
- How professional fighters at American Top Team structure their training,
- Is it possible to be an MMA fighter and still work at a ‘real’ job?
- How to take a gi-based grappler and turn him into an MMA fighter,
- How to develop power punching on the ground without killing your training partner,
- Why striking combinations in MMA are different from boxing and kickboxing,
- How to develop the reflexes to survive bad situations in a fight,
- Is the half guard applicable to MMA?
- What are the highest percentage takedowns for MMA?
- The best BJJ guy Liborio has ever seen.
You can read the entire transcript as a PDF document called ‘BJJ Secrets for MMA.’ (Be patient; it’s almost 10 MB so it could take a while to open.)
It’s a pretty cool interview, so if you want to save it or pass it on to a friend then go ahead. I hope you get as much out of it as I did!