Total Body Stability is the fifth app in the How to Defeat the Bigger Stronger Opponent series. It features master trainer Roy Duquette and BJJ world champion Emily Kwok.
As you may know, Grapplearts offers an entire series of instructional apps in which Emily Kwok shares a detailed breakdown of her grappling strategies and techniques.
Now Emily is a bona fide world champion, both with and without the gi. And obviously her high level of technical expertise has a TON to do with her tournament success.
But it would be foolish to overlook the importance physical conditioning has had in her competitive achievements. And I’m not just talking about conditioning to increase strength and endurance – that’s important, of course – but conditioning is also vital to avoiding injury, allowing you to train harder, and get better faster.
Correct conditioning = less injuries = more training = faster skill development.
Martial arts is a contact sport. And the continuous physical contact in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Submission Grappling and MMA means that the potential for injury is always there.
If you’re injured then you can’t train, and if you can’t train then you can’t get better.
Furthermore the sad fact is that many of our favorite techniques tend to overdevelop certain parts of our body. And these imbalances ultimately make us much more vulnerable to injury.
Fortunately increasing your functional strength with proper training makes your body much more resilient to injury. If you do the right exercises in the right way you can
- Increase strength,
- Protect your joints,
- Correct physical imbalances created by practicing your martial art,
- Get rid of many of the aches and pains that many grapplers take for granted.
Most longtime martial artists eventually come to the conclusion that a sensible strength and conditioning program is essential to achieving longevity in their chosen art.
Which is where the Total Body Stability workout comes in…
Emily was very particular about who she wanted to work with for this part of the Bigger, Stronger series. She wanted to work with master trainer Roy Duquette.
Roy is uniquely qualified to work with martial artists. He has over 15 years of experience as a professional trainer and and performance coach. Roy has also worked with many MMA fighters and BJJ competitors.
He was also Emily’s first conditioning coach and the person who first introduced her to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
In the app Roy presents a workout designed to strengthen and stabilise your body. Not only will you develop a rock-solid core that will greatly increase your functional strength on the mats, you’ll also protect the joints and muscles of your body that are most susceptible to getting hurt.
Total Body Stability training may just be your ace in a hole, for the simple reason that being strong and uninjured allows you to train harder in class and walk around without feeling crippled all the time!
Volume five, ‘An Introduction to Total Body Stability’ comes with detailed instructions for each exercise. The emphasis on the back, abs, core and shoulders, and the specific ways in which these exercises are done, ensures that these sequences are total body strengtheners.
Today I’d like you to take a look at a killer 5 minute workout that’ll do wonders for your posterior chain and – more importantly – the health of your back.
It’ll also increase your power to bridge out of bad positions, which is always a bonus!
The preview below is an excerpt from the Total Body Stability app, which consists of five main sections. The preview below is one of those five sections (the Swiss Ball Bridging Series; chapters 20 to 24) in its entirety.
Check out the Swiss Ball Series before you make your buying decision.
Be warned though: these are deceptively difficult exercises and you really should grab that stability ball you’ve had kicking around the basement forever and follow along with the video to really see the full benefits of this sequence.
- Standing Active Posture Series
- Standing Front Raises
- Standing L-Flyes
- Standing Dumbbell Shrug
- Standing Dumbbell Overhead Press
- Standing Upper Body Stability Bicep Curl
- Sequential Roll-Up Series
- Sequential Roll-Up
- Roll-Up with Alternating Leg Raises
- Roll-Up with Double Leg Raises
- Superman Series
- Superman: Double Arm and Leg Extension
- Superman: Overhead Flyes
- Superman: Leg Curls
- Superman: Simultaneous Flyes and Leg Curls
- Standard Plank Series
- Sequential Plank
- Plank Push-Up
- Plank with Alternating Leg Raises
- Swiss-Ball Bridge Series
- Swiss-Ball: Straight-Leg Bridge
- Swiss-Ball: Leg Curls
- Swiss-Ball: Bent-Knee Bridging
- Swiss-Ball: Alternating Leg Raises
- All the footage has been professionally filmed and edited for maximum ease of learning
- The app includes complete menus for easy navigation
- You can create a list of your favourite sections and exercises using the one-click ‘favourite’ button
- The app is designed to download to your phone or iPad; an internet connection is NOT required to view the videos
- This is a Universal app, which means that it works on both your phone and your tablet – you don’t need to buy different versions for each type of device
- BONUS: ‘The Roadmap for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu’ book for free!