Steve Kwan, a BJJ black belt known for cohosting the most excellent BJJ Mental Models podcast, joins me to discuss cult behaviour in BJJ, good and bad club cultures, and the big picture behind effective jiu-jitsu training.
This is a really important topic given the long history of less than stellar behaviour of some of the big names in the jiu-jitsu community.
To give you a taste, here are some of the zingers from the podcast…
“I consider cults to be any organization that uses unscrupulous tactics to manipulate the members for the benefit of the founders or the people higher up in the chain.”
“People always tell you that jiu-jitsu builds character and makes you a better person. That is not true. Jiu-jitsu gives you confidence and makes you a bolder, more assertive version of the person that you already are. And whether that’s a good person or a bad person is up to you.”
“In a time when things are as uncertain as they have ever been in our lives, we crave certainty. If someone can promise you certainty in an uncertain time especially if they can confirm what deep down you’ve always believed to be true, you’re going to gravitate towards them and it shuts off part of your brain.”
How to Listen to the “Cult Behaviour in Jiu-Jitsu” Episode of The Strenuous Life Podcast
I have released this conversation with Steve Kwan on my podcast (The Strenuous Life Podcast) as episode 290 which you can listen to on all podcast players, including the following popular platforms and apps…
If you don’t have a preferred podcast player you can can listen on the Grapplearts BJJ Master App which you can download for free for iPhone and iPad in the Apple App Store here or for Android devices in the Google Play Store here.
Or you can stream the audio without leaving this page by clicking play below…
I hope this helps you surround yourself with good people in your training!
About the Brand New Nonstop Jiu-Jitsu Book
Nonstop Jiu-Jitsu is the giant new BJJ book that I cowrote with Brandon ‘Wolverine’ Mullins.
This book is laid out in gorgeous full colour and multi-page spreads where you’ll learn plug and play gameplans for exactly how to control and submit your opponent on the ground. These techniques and combinations have been developed and tested over decades of competition so you know you can rely on them when the chips are down.
You’ll also get advanced details, training tips and conceptual breakdowns that will make your jiu-jitsu more powerful than ever before.
- 265 FULL COLOUR PAGES: Every page and technique is brought to life with high quality, full colour photography, clearly showing all the details you need to master the material.
- STEP-BY-STEP TECHNIQUES: Every technique is broken down into easy-to-follow steps so that you always know how to advance your position properly.
- DETAILS, CLOSEUPS AND ALTERNATE ANGLES: Every technique is shown from multiple angles, with special attention paid to the little details that make the difference between success and failure.
- FUNDAMENTAL MOVEMENTS AND ADVANCED APPLICATIONS: The book covers the most important and fundamental movements in BJJ, exactly how to apply those movements in sparring, and how to link them together into advanced applications.
- COMPETITION PROVEN STRATEGIES: The techniques, tips and strategies shown have been field tested in hundreds of high level matches against some of the best competitors in the world.