“No Gi Guard Sweeps and Submissions” is an instructional from How to Defeat the Bigger, Stronger Opponent in No Gi series with Emily Kwok.
You can access this module within the Grapplearts BJJ Master App for your Apple or Android phone.
Click on the appropriate button below to download the Grapplearts Master App for free…
This is the 3rd module in the How to Defeat the Bigger, Stronger Opponent in No Gi series. It expands upon the guard sweeping strategies and techniques taught by Emily Kwok in previous apps but is also designed as a standalone product.
This series of app modules give you the techniques and strategies you need to defend yourself against, and defeat, opponents much larger than yourself using the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
When you’re on your back and fighting from the guard in a no gi situation you can immediately throw out about 75% of the standard BJJ arsenal.
The sad fact is that most sweeps, submissions, and strategies from the bottom in the jiu-jitsu arsenal just won’t work without gripping the gi sleeves and lapels. That is, unless you know how to adapt your game for the fast and slippery world of no gi grappling.
In Volume 3, No Gi Guard Sweeps & Submissions, Emily starts by sharing the secrets to an effective no gi guard. She covers the specific guard positions and techniques that work without the gi so you can stay safe, defend the guard pass, and sweep your opponent in order to get yourself to a dominant pinning position.
In addition to the powerful guard techniques that Emily shares, she will also teach you the most powerful submissions for no gi. She includes the details she’s added to make these submissions devastatingly effective even against someone who is 50 lbs heavier than you.
ABOUT EMILY AND STEPHAN
Emily is a multiple time BJJ world champion, both with and without the gi. She has studied with and learned from many of the top grapplers in the world.
Emily faces people bigger than her on the mats every single day, which has forced her to develop a streamlined and highly efficient approach to jiu-jitsu. She has shared her techniques with thousands of grapplers of all levels at camps, seminars, and at her own school.
Stephan Kesting is a BJJ black belt, and a Combat Submission Wrestling instructor. He has been training in the striking, grappling, and weapons-oriented martial arts for over 35 years.
A master teacher, Stephan has helped thousands of grapplers improve their skills through his crystal-clear instructional apps, DVDs, online videos and articles at his flagship website Grapplearts.com.
- 1 hour and 32 minutes of solid, filler-free instruction
- Every technique, strategy and training drill is focused on allowing you to survive and thrive while grappling against opponents much larger than you on the mats
- All the footage has been professionally filmed and edited for maximum ease of learning
- The app includes complete menus for easy navigation
- You can create a list of your favourite techniques and drills using our one-click ‘favourite’ feature
- The app allows downloads to your phone or tablet so that an internet connection is NOT required to view the videos
- The same app plays on both your phone and your tablet, so you don’t need to buy different versions for each type of device
- BONUS: ‘The Roadmap for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu’ is free to download with your purchase of this app!
Below you will find four separate clips excerpted from the No Gi Guard Sweeps and Submissions App. I suggest that you watch these videos even if you don’t currently own a smartphone or a tablet because there’s a lot of fantastic information in them that you’ll be able to apply right away on the mats.
How to Maintain Good Position in Butterfly Guard
‘How to Maintain Good Position in Butterfly Guard’ is perhaps the least sexy title for a video ever, but don’t be fooled – this is probably the most important video that you’ll watch today!
Being in the right position and having the correct posture is the basis for almost all effective offence from the guard. And allowing your opponent to force you out of position gives him a much easier opportunity to pass your guard. So watch this video and discover how much more effective your butterfly guard becomes!
How to Salvage a Failed Butterfly Guard Sweep
The butterfly guard sweep is one of the most effective sweeping techniques in all of jiu-jitsu. But nothing works 100% of the time, which is why you need options to follow up after your opponent thwarts your initial attack. Here’s how to continue attacking from the butterfly guard when the first attack doesn’t work quite right…
Ambush Armbar from Modified Scarf Hold
When Emily showed me this technique I thought it was one of the sneakiest submissions I’d seen in a long, long time. So I insisted that she include it in the No Gi Guard Sweeps and Submissions app.
How to Counter the Backstep Guard Pass
The Backstep Pass is a guard passing technique used all the time by skilled grapplers. And it can be a very difficult guard pass to stop if you don’t know what to do. In the clip below Emily systematically takes you through countering this guard pass in a way that will not only shut down the guard pass, but also reverse the positions so you get to the top position, ready to launch your own offence.
- Intro to No Gi Guard Sweeps
- Common No Gi Sweeping Mistakes
- How to Maintain Good Position
- Two-on-One Butterfly Sweep
- Inside Leg Butterfly Sweep
- Butterfly to Single Leg X Guard
- Butterfly to Full X Guard and Sweep
- Butterfly to de la Riva Sweep
- Half Guard Strategies
- Sweeping vs the Backstep Guard Pass
- Intro to No Gi Submissions
- Trachea Choke
- Arm-In Guillotine
- Ambush Armbar from Modified Scarfhold
- Guard Pass to Footlock
- Guard Pass to Kneebar
- Modifying the Head and Arm Choke
- Applying the Rear Naked Choke against Resistance
Click on the Appropriate Button Below to Download ‘The Grapplearts BJJ Master App (containing the No Gi Sweeps and Submissions module) for Your Phone or Tablet