Here’s a really detailed, super comprehensive video on the 12 most important concepts and ideas that’ll make your guard much harder to pass.
It’s the best thing you’ll watch today. Seriously.
Using these 12 concepts you’ll immediately accomplish a couple of important things…
- You’ll start frustrating the hell out of your opponents, which is always good.
- You’ll gain much more confidence in your own sweeps and submissions, because even if your attack fails you’ll know that the other guy still won’t be able to pass your guard.
Here are the timestamps for the 12 concepts we covered in this 54 minute long video…
- 01:26 Proper Alignment in Guard
- 05:40 Frames and Levers for Guard Retention
- 11:02 Layers of Frames for Defense
- 15:28 Controlling Inside Space
- 21:09 Knee-Elbow Connection
- 25:22 Regulated Tension
- 29:45 Blocking the Leading Ledge
- 33:47 Hip Direction and Efficiency of Movement
- 37:55 Turtle as a Last Defense!
- 40:58 Don’t Use Closed Guard as a Beginner
- 44:30 The 3 Phases of Guard
- 50:18 The Ranges of Guard
If you don’t have the time to watch a video this long you might want to consider listening to the same information in podcast form because I’ve also released it as episode 256 of The Strenuous Life Podcast.
You won’t get all the visuals but you will get all the concepts. So even in audio format I promise there’s value.
You can get episode 256 of The Strenuous Life Podcast anywhere fine podcasts are distributed, including the following platforms…
- Apple Podcasts (the purple app on your iPhone)
- Google Podcasts (the new google podcast app)
- Spotify (it’s free)
- Google Play
Or you can listen to the audio in the embedded player below…
P.S. This video is the entire first section of The Guard Retention Formula.
The reason I can release almost a full hour of it for free on Youtube is because the whole thing is actually 12 hours long. It’s that detailed and comprehensive.