Let’s talk about a plan and a sequence to get a good grip in no gi grappling, rather than just conceding the initial grip (which you should never do).
The importance of having a plan in combat has been emphasised so many times in so many different ways. Consider some of these pithy sayings…
‘Plan beats no plan every time”, and
“Fail to plan, plan to fail”, and
“Proper planning and preparation prevent piss-poor performance.”
I could go on but you get the point…
The person who has thought things through and is following an intial plan is at a HUGE advantage over someone who is just winging it in the heat of the moment.
This applies to getting your initial grips from the guard. Knowing how you’re going to get your grips is critical to imposing YOUR game on the other guy and not just frantically reacting to whatever he’s doing to you!
Here’s my current favorite gripping sequence to go from no grips to a very dominant two-on-one grip in no gi.
I promise that if you and I ever roll I’ll try to do this to you, so you better be familiar with it 🙂
The essence of this strategy is to bait your opponent into taking a grip on your wrist.
This seems like a disadvantage but once he grabs your wrist you know exactly where his hand is!
So long as you know the details on how to easily break grips and the sequence you should follow up with you can then very quickly turn the tables and put him into a bad position.
Knowing how you’re going to get your grips is critical to imposing YOUR game on the other guy. It also stops you from just frantically reacting to whatever he’s trying to do to you!
Long story short: learn to gripfighting, and have some pre-arranged gripfighting sequences ready to unleash on your opponents!
P.S. This video is a short excerpt from the brand new Gripfighting and Kuzushi Formula instructional I just released.
If you’re interested in winning more guard engagements I would recommend getting this instructional now.
- You’ll get step-by-step gameplans and strategies (just like the one above) that’ll have you covered for all forms of guard
- You’ll understand the concepts and principles behind the techniques as well as the moves themselves
- You’ll get a great discount on the full price of the instructional
- For a limited time you’ll get an entire second Rob Biernacki instructional for FREE
- You’ll be protected by an unconditional 365 day moneyback guarantee on your purchase in case you don’t like it for any reason