I’ve participated in a quite a few inherently risky activities in my life.
Obviously there’s the training, sparring and competing in a variety of martial arts including BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai and full contact stickfighting. But in addition to the martial arts stuff I’ve also been a firefighter since 1999, hazardous materials responder, a whitewater kayaker and solo expedition canoeist, all of which also come with their own risks.
I’ve had a few close calls over the years and have also lost friends and family to adventure sport gone wrong. The single biggest factor underlying all these terrible incidents was an inadequate risk assessment, so I’m pretty passionate about this stuff.
Here are 5 of the principles that I use on a daily basis for evaluating and mitigating risk.
I hope you might find some of them useful…
The 5 Principles (and Timestamps)
- Don’t Take Risks for Other People (2:43)
- Take Calculated Risks (8:22)
- Have a Risk Budget (10:45)
- Acknowledge the Worst Case Scenario (12:39)
- Have a Backup Plan (14:38)
How to Listen to the Audio-Only Version of This Episode
Maybe you don’t have the time or bandwidth to watch an entire video right now (believe me, I TOTALLY understand!).
That’s where the audio-only version of my podcast comes in. In fact, many of my episodes are only available in an audio format.
You have 3 great options to get The Strenuous Life Podcast in audio-only format…
1) PODCAST PLAYERS: I’ve also released this on my podcast (The Strenuous Life Podcast) as episode 300 which you can listen to on all podcast players, including the following popular platforms and apps…
2) THE GRAPPLEARTS BJJ MASTER APP: If you don’t have a preferred podcast player you can can listen on the Grapplearts BJJ Master App which you can download for free for iPhone and iPad in the Apple App Store here or for Android devices in the Google Play Store here.
3) STREAM THE AUDIO RIGHT HERE: Or you can stream the audio right here without leaving the page by clicking play below…
I hope you enjoy both this and other episodes of The Strenuous Life Podcast!
The single best way to stay in touch with what’s going on with The Strenuous Life Podcast, the Grapplearts site, and everything else is still my email newsletter.
Sign up for free at by entering your best email address in the box below…