If you’ve ever gone to a single BJJ class then you’ve probably done some kind of warmup that included shrimping, bridging, rolls and other fundamental movements.
Some of these movements were probably connected to techniques. The shrimping motion might have been connected to one method of escaping side control, the bridge might have been connected to a mount escape, and so on…
But what people don’t realise is that these basic motions are found in techniques at every level throughout jiu-jitsu. For example you might use a bridging motion to apply the armbar, to pass guard, to throw your opponent, and to move your opponent’s arm across your body when you’re attacking with the triangle choke from guard.
Even high level techniques are mostly just the fundamental movements connected together in more advanced ways.
Thus improving your fundamental movements improves ALL of your jiu-jitsu.
In today’s video and podcast I get together with black belt world no gi champion Brandon ‘Wolverine’ Mullins to go deep into these fundamental movements, how to train them correctly, and how to make the most out of every second of your limited and precious training time.
Check it out!
How to Watch to the Advanced Fundamentals Episode
I released Brandon and my conversation about the fundamental movements of BJJ and their advanced applications on Youtube.
Click here to watch that video on my Youtube channel or stream it below…
How to Listen to the Advanced Fundamentals Episode in Podcast Format
I also released this conversation on my podcast (The Strenuous Life Podcast) as episode 286 which you can listen to on all podcast players, including the following popular platforms and apps…
If you don’t have a preferred podcast player you can can listen on the Grapplearts BJJ Master App which you can download for free for iPhone and iPad in the Apple App Store here or for Android devices in the Google Play Store here.
Or you can stream the audio without leaving this page by clicking play below…
I hope this helps you become more efficient and effective in your training!
About Nonstop Jiu-Jitsu, the Book
Nonstop Jiu-Jitsu is the giant new BJJ book that I cowrote with Brandon ‘Wolverine’ Mullins.
This book is laid out in gorgeous full colour and multi-page spreads where you’ll learn plug and play gameplans for exactly how to control and submit your opponent on the ground. These techniques and combinations have been developed and tested over decades of competition so you know you can rely on them when the chips are down.
You’ll also get advanced details, training tips and conceptual breakdowns that will make your jiu-jitsu more powerful than ever before.
- 265 FULL COLOUR PAGES: Every page and technique is brought to life with high quality, full colour photography, clearly showing all the details you need to master the material.
- STEP-BY-STEP TECHNIQUES: Every technique is broken down into easy-to-follow steps so that you always know how to advance your position properly.
- DETAILS, CLOSEUPS AND ALTERNATE ANGLES: Every technique is shown from multiple angles, with special attention paid to the little details that make the difference between success and failure.
- FUNDAMENTAL MOVEMENTS AND ADVANCED APPLICATIONS: The book covers the most important and fundamental movements in BJJ, exactly how to apply those movements in sparring, and how to link them together into advanced applications.
- COMPETITION PROVEN STRATEGIES: The techniques, tips and strategies shown have been field tested in hundreds of high level matches against some of the best competitors in the world.