In this Grapplearts interview I talk to BJJ Black Belt Ritchie Yip, focusing on tips that BJJ beginners need to know. But sometimes the conversation goes a little off track!
To listen to this conversation you could press play on the embedded audio player below, but then you might miss out on future episodes, wouldn’t you?
So the best thing to do is to subscribe to The Strenuous Life Podcast using the podcast player that you almost certainly already have on your phone!
(For example, if you have an iPhone then it’s the purple app with the antenna-like thing in it. Just click the Apple Podcasts link below and it should open up that app for you.)
Here are the links to find the podcast on various players (This one is episode 25)…
- Apple Podcasts (the purple app on your iPhone)
- Google Podcasts (the new google podcast app)
- Spotify (it’s free)
- Google Play
Or you can click on the YouTube video below:
BJJ-related material covered in this discussion includes:
- Danger signs when checking out a new school
- Whether beginners should in their own class or mixed in with more advanced people
- How to avoid situations where you’re just going to get maliciously rag dolled by senior students
- How instructors can teach a class of differing levels
- What the the only real spiritual benefits of martial arts training is
- How to tell if a martial arts school is run by a complete A-hole
- Why training with black belts only is a huge mistake
- What happens when people interested in taking a kickboxing class end up in the jiu-jitsu class by mistake…
- Why learning jiu-jitsu is much harder than learning boxing, and how not to get discouraged during that learning process
- The most insane idea Stephan has ever had for making a training dummy
- And much more…
Click below to listen to the embedded audio player:
For more information about Ritchie Yip (and his Vancouver and Burnaby-based schools where he teaches both BJJ and kickboxing) check out www.infighting.ca